Elder Brown 12 June 2017

Malo e lelei!

The internet has been weird all over Vava'u over the past couple weeks so I'm glad it's back to normal, knock on wood. We don't have anything to do today but email since everyone's getting moved around today, so I'll give you two weeks worth of goodies! I even promise to email Ali!!!!!

We got a new investigator last week who's talked to quite a few missionaries over the years. He is the only one in his family who hasn't been baptized; his father was just ordained as the stake Patriarch and his sister got back last month from Korea. At first we could tell that he didn't really want to be there, so we asked him if he was really interested and he told us no, we joked around a bit and he asked "we all pray to the same Lord, why don't you leave us alone? I already believe in Jesus." We hear that question like every day so we gave him our best lesson 1 and he said he gets it now. He came to church last week but didn't accept the invitation to be baptized, we're good friends by now and we'll continue digging.

Yesterday was transfers, and my comp and I are both staying. I love my members and the people we teach so that was a happy phone call.

Yesterday president Makai and his wife came to our sacrament meeting. They brought with them a couple of their friends from Utah and they asked me to translate. I had a really hard time following along over the sound of my own voice. Every once in a while, I'd come across a phrase that I'd have to think about, so I would end up falling behind a few seconds; I would invariably end up lost. I would start out each talk okay but a couple of minutes in they'd tell a joke or use a Tongan idiom and I'd be lost, so I'd make up my own talk and my own jokes so now they think I'm a Tongan expert. President Makai was sitting right there and he gave me some quizzical looks, but then he realized what was happening and we started laughing. it was bad for my linguistic self esteem but it ended up being pretty funny and me and President have an inside joke that isn't going away anytime soon. Mom and dad area coming to pick me up in October, so they should be aware of this before asking me to be their interpreter. Go find someone that speaks Tongan :)

This is a small area, and we have a day or two a week that's full of cool stuff that the rest of the time goes by pretty slowly. Everyone's gone until 1 or 2 and its hard to find stuff to do, Teaching doesn't happen as often anymore and we only get 3-4 lessons a week with an investigator. When it happens, it's a lot of fun and I appreciate it a lot more than I did before. I hope I get to finish in a crazy area so I can get some work ethic lessons in me again.

I love the Lord and this church is true. Sorry the internet's been uncooperative; hopefully it won't be happen more. Thanks for all the emails and the support!

'Ofa lahi atu!
Elder Brown


Jennifer Brown

To learn more about me, click here!






No comments:

Post a Comment